Are you looking for an efficient way to dev/test your applications and you want to track your release process by automating your deployments for repeatable success? Are you struggling with a manual and error-prone deployment process which frustrates you every day? Are you looking for automation that is the same across different environments (Dev-Test-Acceptance-Production)? Do you need to build/package your application only once and deploy it with the exact same bits to any provisioned environment? Do you want to setup a formal approval workflow to promote a release to the next stage?
This intensive full day DevOps workshop will teach you how to become quickly productive with the latest Visual Studio Release Management tools. During the workshop you will need to work out an end-to-end release management strategy to deploy a web application and database in production.
What will you learn?
- The importance of an independent Build Server
- Source Server Indexing and a Symbol Server
- Setup a build definition to deliver a generic deployment package
- Extract environment specific values from your configuration files and make use of environment placeholder values
- Why should you use Web Deploy / MSDeploy
- SQL Server Data Tools for automating your database deployments
- Adopt a versioning strategy for your applications
- Link build artifacts to release management definitions
- Manage environment variables in Visual Studio Release Management
- Inject/Replace environment specific values at deployment time
- Provision your environments via ARM templates
- Provision your environments via Powershell DSC
- Automate your deployment workflow
- Create custom build / release management tasks
- Setup a logical approval workflow for Release Management
- Introduce the concept of Separation of duties
Pieter Gheysens is the founder of Sparkles and focuses as a Visual Studio ALM MVP and Certified Scrum Master on Application Lifecycle Management solutions for the Microsoft .NET Development Platform based on Team Foundation Server. During the last 15 years, Pieter has been involved in many large enterprise development projects as a developer, team lead and software architect. He's passionate about setting up the optimal team development environment to deliver high quality software and strives to get the best out of people, tools and processes. You can read about his experiences at intovsts.net. The last two years, Pieter helped many companies to adopt a DevOps strategy with Visual Studio Release Management. Since 2007, Pieter is the User Group Lead for the Belgian Visual Studio User Group which organizes many free technical community events with local and international speakers. Techorama was founded by Pieter and two other colleagues.
Date & Location
July 12 (2017)
Any stakeholder (developer, tester, release manager, project manager) in the software development process will benefit from the training. Some exposure to the basics of software development concepts is required. Ideally you should sign up with a colleague in a different role to experience the collaboration challenges in DevOps. Many of the exercises must be performed in groups of 2 students.
This workshop is based on best practices and personal experiences of the teacher in small and large development environments. The attendees will need to perform hands-on exercises to get familiar with Visual Studio Release Management. Every attendee will get a dedicated Windows Azure Virtual Machine to perform exercises.
The cost for this full-day workshop is 525,- euro (taxes not included).
The registration price includes your participation to the training, coffee/tea, lunch and the printed materials.
This training can also be organized on-site.
Contact Sparkles for more details
Full course details